Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: My Altec A7

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    A big fan of Studer/Revox I see. Nice collection you have.

    I worked with many Revox and Studer tape machines over the years. Even Studer mixing consoles. They bring back memories.

    Do you remember the linear arm turntable that Revox used to sell?

  2. #12
    Inactive Member wayned's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2010
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    A big fan of Studer/Revox I see. Nice collection you have.

    I worked with many Revox and Studer tape machines over the years. Even Studer mixing consoles. They bring back memories.

    Do you remember the linear arm turntable that Revox used to sell?
    The REVOX B795, it was a good turntable but I never worked with it, how about it?

    I worked with linn LP12, Thorens 124, now I just use EMT 930, it is a amazing turntable.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    I have a Revox A77 that I bought in the late 70's. It was new, but had ben cannibalized for parts. I ordered the parts and restored it. I sent it to the Studer repair depot in Nashville Tn. They adjusted it back to factory specs. I still have it and it still plays as new.

    My only complaint is the VU meters. They are so small they are almost useless. Still with patience, It makes great recordings. Very well made and engineered tape recorder...

  4. #14
    Inactive Member wayned's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2010
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
    I have a Revox A77 that I bought in the late 70's. It was new, but had ben cannibalized for parts. I ordered the parts and restored it. I sent it to the Studer repair depot in Nashville Tn. They adjusted it back to factory specs. I still have it and it still plays as new.

    My only complaint is the VU meters. They are so small they are almost useless. Still with patience, It makes great recordings. Very well made and engineered tape recorder...
    Hi Marvin, I have a pair of the VU meters of A77 for the backup, if you want I can mail to you.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    Thanks Wayned,
    If the meters you mentioned are the same ones in my A77, I really don't need them. The meters in my A77 are working. They are just so small they are really difficult to use. I had nice large ones on my old Roberts (Akai). I just would like some nice large ones that my poor old eyes can see at a distance. Not 100 feet away, but at least 10 feet. Anyway I usually use earphones so the balance is correct.
    Thanks for the thought though,
    Marvin

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    Continuing this errant thread-the meters on my Crown 700-series RTR are huge, with needles like clock hands. Goes well with the retro aesthetic of the thing.
    Jon

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    I owned and fixed a number of A77 machines. Good stuff. But my fav was the B77. Much better transport for the hard theater work where we used them. Almost flawless machine.

    I mastered on the A77 but did playback on the B77. Good stuff. Seems just right as a partner for the Altec A7. =)

  8. #18
    Inactive Member wayned's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2010
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
    Thanks Wayned,
    If the meters you mentioned are the same ones in my A77, I really don't need them. The meters in my A77 are working. They are just so small they are really difficult to use. I had nice large ones on my old Roberts (Akai). I just would like some nice large ones that my poor old eyes can see at a distance. Not 100 feet away, but at least 10 feet. Anyway I usually use earphones so the balance is correct.
    Thanks for the thought though,
    Marvin

    Hi Marvin

    I do not like the recorder from Japan for its sound, I prefer Revox, Studer, Ampex. But I can not find a Ampex in excellent condition in CHINA.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member wayned's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2010
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    I owned and fixed a number of A77 machines. Good stuff. But my fav was the B77. Much better transport for the hard theater work where we used them. Almost flawless machine.

    I mastered on the A77 but did playback on the B77. Good stuff. Seems just right as a partner for the Altec A7. =)

    I think the sound of A77 was more warm than B77, I never owned a B77, maybe I should find one.

    I prefer my two A700, one 4 track, another 2 track. The sound is more precise than A77, also its operation.

    Some friend of my like the STUDER A80, A810, A820 and NAGRA machine, but I think if you playback the pre recorded tapes, you do not need these professional machine.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member wayned's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2010
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A7

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    I owned and fixed a number of A77 machines. Good stuff. But my fav was the B77. Much better transport for the hard theater work where we used them. Almost flawless machine.

    I mastered on the A77 but did playback on the B77. Good stuff. Seems just right as a partner for the Altec A7. =)

    Hi Panomaniac

    I have a question, which speaker wire do you(or your friends) usually use in the Altec system?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.